Jul 6, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Detroit has a surplus of forwards and a shortage of salary cap space, but that doesn’t mean they want to part ways with Daniel Cleary.
Brendan Savage of Mlive.com says the team would like to bring the veteran forward back into the fold, but would have to lose salary to do it. The Wings are currently at $66 million on their payroll and have to be down below $64.3 million at the start of the season.
The Wings also have an unbalanced number of forwards.
According to CapGeek.com, the Red Wings currently have 16 forwards under control at the moment either via contract or as restricted free agents.
To bring Cleary back as the 17th, that would mean moving out more than a couple players. As it is, Wings GM Ken Holland still has to get Gustav Nyqvist and Joakim Andersson signed to new deals as RFAs and wanting Cleary back only adds to the intrigue.
Trades on the horizon in Detroit? If the Wings are going to bring Cleary and his bad knees back to Motown, there’s going to be some action.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)