Jul 6, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
Former Detroit Red Wings assist general manager Jim Nill has convinced some of his old colleagues to join him now that he’s the general manager of the Dallas Stars.
Nill has hired Joe McDonnell, who had served as the Detroit Red Wings director of amateur scouting since 2003, according to MLive.com.
The Stars GM also convinced former Detroit amateur scout Mark Leach to join his team’s ranks.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland has confirmed those moves and hopes to sort out their own scouting staff next week. Among other things, scouts Jeff Finley and David Kolb will begin to serve in bigger roles.
Detroit’s success when it comes to drafting players is one of the big reasons they’ve managed to make the playoffs for 23 consecutive seasons. In the past, they’ve found diamonds in the rough during the entry draft like Jonathan Ericsson, Henrik Zetterberg, and Pavel Datsyuk. Most of their other prominent players, such as Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall, and Jimmy Howard, were also drafted rather than acquired via a trade or signing.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)