Jul 6, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
Former Detroit Red Wings assist general manager Jim Nill has convinced some of his old colleagues to join him now that he’s the general manager of the Dallas Stars.
Nill has hired Joe McDonnell, who had served as the Detroit Red Wings director of amateur scouting since 2003, according to MLive.com.
The Stars GM also convinced former Detroit amateur scout Mark Leach to join his team’s ranks.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland has confirmed those moves and hopes to sort out their own scouting staff next week. Among other things, scouts Jeff Finley and David Kolb will begin to serve in bigger roles.
Detroit’s success when it comes to drafting players is one of the big reasons they’ve managed to make the playoffs for 23 consecutive seasons. In the past, they’ve found diamonds in the rough during the entry draft like Jonathan Ericsson, Henrik Zetterberg, and Pavel Datsyuk. Most of their other prominent players, such as Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall, and Jimmy Howard, were also drafted rather than acquired via a trade or signing.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)