Jul 6, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
Former Detroit Red Wings assist general manager Jim Nill has convinced some of his old colleagues to join him now that he’s the general manager of the Dallas Stars.
Nill has hired Joe McDonnell, who had served as the Detroit Red Wings director of amateur scouting since 2003, according to MLive.com.
The Stars GM also convinced former Detroit amateur scout Mark Leach to join his team’s ranks.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland has confirmed those moves and hopes to sort out their own scouting staff next week. Among other things, scouts Jeff Finley and David Kolb will begin to serve in bigger roles.
Detroit’s success when it comes to drafting players is one of the big reasons they’ve managed to make the playoffs for 23 consecutive seasons. In the past, they’ve found diamonds in the rough during the entry draft like Jonathan Ericsson, Henrik Zetterberg, and Pavel Datsyuk. Most of their other prominent players, such as Johan Franzen, Niklas Kronwall, and Jimmy Howard, were also drafted rather than acquired via a trade or signing.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)