Jul 6, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
Many fans in Toronto didn’t go crazy for the big contract the Maple Leafs signed David Clarkson to during yesterday’s first day of free agency. The Toronto Sun, however, couldn’t resist comparing Clarkson to Leafs legend Wendel Clark.
Check out the front page lauding of the signing and the comparisons made between Clarkson and Clark. Also soak in the handlebar mustache and mullet they slapped on Clarkson’s photo to make him look more Wendel-like.
Wendel Clarkson is a pretty great mash-up.
Clarkson’s game is aggressive and he’ll likely blend into Randy Carlyle’s system without a problem. Comparing him to a player that’s so beloved like Clark is, however, just heaps even more pressure on him to perform.
And you thought signing a monster contract would be the part that puts the most pressure to perform. The legend of Wendel is not to be messed with.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 17
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 13
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 36
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)