Jul 6, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
Many fans in Toronto didn’t go crazy for the big contract the Maple Leafs signed David Clarkson to during yesterday’s first day of free agency. The Toronto Sun, however, couldn’t resist comparing Clarkson to Leafs legend Wendel Clark.
Check out the front page lauding of the signing and the comparisons made between Clarkson and Clark. Also soak in the handlebar mustache and mullet they slapped on Clarkson’s photo to make him look more Wendel-like.
Wendel Clarkson is a pretty great mash-up.
Clarkson’s game is aggressive and he’ll likely blend into Randy Carlyle’s system without a problem. Comparing him to a player that’s so beloved like Clark is, however, just heaps even more pressure on him to perform.
And you thought signing a monster contract would be the part that puts the most pressure to perform. The legend of Wendel is not to be messed with.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)