Jul 6, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
The Dallas Stars didn’t waste any time in signing 18-year-old forward Valeri Nichushkin to an entry-level contract.
Dallas grabbed him with the 10th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
He got some playing time in the KHL last season and won the 2012-13 Aleksei Cherepanov Award as the league’s top rookie.
“Valeri is a skilled and competitive forward who we feel was at the top of the talent pool in this season’s NHL Draft,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, according to the team’s website. “He spent the last season playing against men in a very strong league and we feel that he can come in and immediately compete for a job at the NHL level.”
Nichushkin has made it clear that he wants to play in the NHL next season. However, he’s expected to return to the KHL over the AHL if he fails to make the team.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 6
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 34
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 41
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (167)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)