Jul 6, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
The Dallas Stars didn’t waste any time in signing 18-year-old forward Valeri Nichushkin to an entry-level contract.
Dallas grabbed him with the 10th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
He got some playing time in the KHL last season and won the 2012-13 Aleksei Cherepanov Award as the league’s top rookie.
“Valeri is a skilled and competitive forward who we feel was at the top of the talent pool in this season’s NHL Draft,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, according to the team’s website. “He spent the last season playing against men in a very strong league and we feel that he can come in and immediately compete for a job at the NHL level.”
Nichushkin has made it clear that he wants to play in the NHL next season. However, he’s expected to return to the KHL over the AHL if he fails to make the team.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (111)