Jul 6, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars didn’t waste any time in signing 18-year-old forward Valeri Nichushkin to an entry-level contract.
Dallas grabbed him with the 10th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
He got some playing time in the KHL last season and won the 2012-13 Aleksei Cherepanov Award as the league’s top rookie.
“Valeri is a skilled and competitive forward who we feel was at the top of the talent pool in this season’s NHL Draft,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, according to the team’s website. “He spent the last season playing against men in a very strong league and we feel that he can come in and immediately compete for a job at the NHL level.”
Nichushkin has made it clear that he wants to play in the NHL next season. However, he’s expected to return to the KHL over the AHL if he fails to make the team.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)