Jul 6, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Brent Burns won’t be returning to the blue line anytime soon.
Sharks GM Doug Wilson says the team will keep the converted defenseman up front next season. As Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com shares, it’s as much about the current defense as it is Burns’ skill as a forward.
“We feel very strong how our defense is constructed and how we expect them to continue to grow,” the general manager said. “How we want to play up front and go after people and make them defend, Burnzie just fits perfect. He still will be able to play the point on the power play and we can utilize his big shot, but we saw how good he can be and how he can impact games as a forward.
“I think it’s only going to get better if he trains specifically for that this summer, giving him that clarity and focus. I think he is a dominant power forward in this league.”
Burns’ move up front seemed to awaken the Sharks forwards last season as the team tore it up late in the year. He made it all worthwhile scoring nine goals and adding 11 assists last season.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)