Jul 6, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
Patrik Elias just signed a three-year deal with the New Jersey Devils, so the 37-year-old forward isn’t hanging up his skates any time soon. But if you think this is the last NHL contract he’ll ever sign, well, he’s hoping to surprise you.
“I said seven years ago that this would be my last contract, but I can still play,” Elias told the Star-Ledger. “Obviously a lot can change in three years.
“As long as I’m healthy and I’m enjoying hockey probably even more than my first few years, I’ll be a valuable player to some team. Whether it’s with the Devils for two more years or with someone else.”
As Elias said, a lot can change in three years, but he’s certainly still able to put up big numbers. He had 78 points in 81 games in 2011-12 and while the Devils struggled in the lockout-shortened season, he led the team with 36 points in 48 games.
The Devils are looking to bounce back after that disappointing campaign. They’ve only made the playoffs once in three years, but New Jersey reached the Stanley Cup Final in that span. The Devils also acquired Cory Schneider to bring some long-term clarity to their goaltending situation.
“I think it was a great move, one of the best moves I’ve seen during my career here,” Elias said. “Everybody was wondering what was going to happen when Marty (Brodeur) is done.”
That should help Elias’ later years with the Devils be competitive ones.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)