Lecavalier likes Flyers system ‘better than staying on your heels’

Jul 6, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT

Vincent Lecavalier AP

Vincent Lecavalier finally spoke with Philadelphia media and may have gotten a dig in at his former coach, Guy Boucher, while doing so.

While the Flyers finally announced Lecavalier’s deal, he was asked his thoughts about the Flyers’ up-tempo system under Peter Laviolette and if he liked that. It turns out he’s a big fan.

“I like that better than staying on your heels” Lecavalier said. “I think when you’re on your heels a lot more, you’re not in the game as much. You’re not as sharp and as quick. I think if you’re on your toes like the Flyers play, I think it makes you a better hockey player.”

When Boucher was let go in Tampa, it was believed there was tension there between himself and some of the veteran players and his defensive system may have been part of that.

If you’ll recall, it was against the Flyers when Boucher’s 1-3-1 forecheck system was challenged via stalling as the Flyers sat back in their own zone waiting to be pursued.

Perhaps all that staying back on their heels was why Tampa’s defense was so poor the last couple seasons and not the motley crew of blue liners that took part in it. Oh, right.

1. blackheart78 - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

:P

2. valarmorghuliss - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Says the guy who hasn’t been in professional shape in 5 seasons.
    Funny how it was right at the time he singed the 11 year 85 million dollar deal

Hard to care what a player like this has to say about anything

• orangandblack - Jul 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Bitter, party of one…..

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

point per game player, and more, until he got paid. Then he became a 2nd line center at best. And don’t give me the system crap, because Stamkos and St.Louis kept on producing during all those years.

He took the money and stopped doing what it took to be a #1 center.

#truthhurts

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Oh and LMAO @ all you Flyer fans who defend and ignore the truth about all your players.

Here a F’n fact for all of you know nothing buffoons.

The Flyers won’t make the playoffs again this year. And somehow it will surprise all of you idiots.

Detroit moving to the East, just another team that will without any doubt whatsoever, that will have more points than the hapless and pathetic Flyers.

• orangandblack - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM

TB plays in the weakest division in Hockey, and has only made the playoffs once in the past 5 years….so I’ll take my “hapless and pathetic Flyers” any day

3. chazxcore - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It will be interesting how he adapts to Lavy’s system.

4. pkswally024 - Jul 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I love reading spiteful comments from fans who feel spurned. Wait, you released him..

5. Habib Marwan - Jul 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

he better produce big right out of the gate , or the jeers will get louder and louder

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

If he’s putting out effort he will not be jeered. It was the same thing last year with Couturier. He was totally unproductive but the fans still supported him bc we could see that he was attempting all he could to contribute. It’s very likely Lecavalier will become a fan favorite.

• Habib Marwan - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

you still think your D is all set and ok?? , cause not to stir the pot here but you were one of the many flyers fans that were lobbying for both coburn and mez to be gone due to their penchant for being slow and getting injured .. but for now looks as if they are staying

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I wouldn’t say they’re set, as they’re obviously missing that #1 defender, but I do think they’re ok. And I certainly did advocate for the moving of Mez, as he’s played timid and scared after enduring multiple serious injuries over the past two seasons. If they could flip him for a 7th rd pick I’d do it in a second. But Coburn is another story. Although I wasn’t against moving him for cap space, I’d like to keep him. He was horrendous last season, but I’ve always been a fan of his. I think he gets a bad rep amongst the Flyers faithful. He’s taken Carle’s place as the whipping boy. He was a liability last season but he’s still a 6’5 defender who skates like the wind. There’s a reason Edmonton wants him so bad. I think he can turn it around, as he’s been a solid player most of his career. So if I could choose between keeping Mez or Coburn, I’d definitely go Coburn.

A top-6 of Timonen, Streit, Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, and Gustafsson isn’t great, but it’s atleast serviceable. And if they play to their potential it could be good. I’d say that grouping would be in the middle of the 30 teams. If Pronger or Weber were in there they’d be closer to the top. If they can move Mez they’ll be in solid shape with the cap (including Pronger’s LTIR exception and the expected rise of the cap ceiling). We’ll see what happens.

• Habib Marwan - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM

good overall outlook here 77 …

• matthewmacisaac - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I think Gervais has taken Carle’s spot as whipping boy and he deserves to be whipped. He sucks almost as much as Carle. He provides no defensive presence (like Carle) just doesn’t have the horrid turnovers that plagued Carle, but basically he’s just as much a waste of space. Overall, I like Coburn, but he did play like crap last year and I would like to see him become more assertive. where he’s becoming expendable is with youngsters Lauridsen, Manning, and Bourdon being good alternatives and he has good trade value, you have to strike while the iron is hot. That said I’m fine with him staying,too.

6. girouxed - Jul 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If he screws up I’m blaming the goalie.

7. jjregan21 - Jul 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

There’s nothing behind the forwards in philly, so staying on your heels is near impossible

8. icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Any forward is going to like Coach Lavi’s system. The ‘tender may feel differently though…

9. laxman1944 - Jul 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

He’ll play well……..and have a good stay as a Flyer……as long as they don’t demand too much of him.

That’s what the core puppies are for.

10. macjacmccoy - Jul 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Everyone is digging way to deep into this. Bringing up his past and what not. None of that matters to the Flyers. All he has to do is play better then Briere and its a net gain.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D