Jul 6, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
It’s not really free agency time until Jaromir Jagr starts his courtship with the Montreal Canadiens. We can now say that it’s all really finally underway.
Louis-Andre Lariviere of TVA Sports reports (in French) Jagr and the Habs are again spending time chatting this summer and it’s possible he could wind up signing with the Canadiens. His agent Petr Svoboda says Montreal is a place Jagr loves (poor translation ahead).
“Jaromir always wanted play in Montreal,” insisted Svoboda. “We discussed with [CEO] Marc Bergevin yesterday. The interest is mutual, but the decision is now up to the Canadiens.”
Jagr flirting with the Habs is nothing new as they’re a team that’s come up each of the previous two summers in free agency. He of course signed with Philadelphia two years ago and Dallas last year before winding up in Boston at the trade deadline.
At 41 years-old he’s still got some game left in him and reuniting him with fellow Czech Republic star Tomas Plekanec might do wonders for both of them.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)