Jul 6, 2013, 12:33 AM EST
From the net on out, the Philadelphia Flyers will look very different next season. They spared no expense to do so.
Of course, the question is: was it all worth it? GM Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com that he’s very happy with the results.
“I think we improved our team a lot,” Holmgren said. “We added a very good puck-moving defenseman that’s going to bring us more offense from the back end (Mark Streit). We added, in my opinion, still one of the better players in the game in Vinny Lecavalier … And adding Ray (Emery) to bring in along with Steve Mason, I think, solidifies our goaltending position …”
“More importantly, we kept what we think is a real good nucleus together. We didn’t do anything to dismantle anything.”
Along with questions about the Mason-Emery duo, people wonder if the addition of Streit is enough to turn around a woeful defense. Holmgren explains that some of the ugliness came from a rash of injuries. Even if he’s just saying the right things, Holmgren said he doesn’t expect to make more moves.
Still, he noted “you never say never on anything,” which might as well be the Flyers’ team-building mantra at this point.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)