Jul 6, 2013, 6:06 PM EST
After years of chasing a playoff berth and falling short, the Flames seem to have embraced the rebuilding process. So while other teams threw a lot of money around on Friday, GM Jay Feaster stayed relatively quiet.
“At our meeting with ownership on May 9, we presented a preliminary list of unrestricted free agents at that time,” Feaster said, according to the team’s website. “One of the things we said to ownership was that we didn’t believe the answers to our problems, our situations, our needs were necessarily going to found in unrestricted free agency.”
The Flames did have the cap space necessary to chase just about any free agent if they wanted, but Feaster insists he’s happy with the way things turned out.
“Our cap space was not and is not burning a hole in my pocket,” he said.
“The one thing we didn’t do, and I think it’s something we have done in the past … we’ve given a lot of money for a long period of time. It puts you in a tough situation because typically when you’re doing these deals today, you end up having to give full no-trade, no-moves or partial no-trade, no-moves and it makes the job a lot tougher.”
That doesn’t necessarily mean that the team will go into the 2013-14 campaign largely unchanged. Feaster is still interested in players on the trade market and what he does on that end will be another indication of their new philosophy. Still, for now it seems like they’re exercising much more discipline than they have in the past.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)