Jul 6, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
After years of chasing a playoff berth and falling short, the Flames seem to have embraced the rebuilding process. So while other teams threw a lot of money around on Friday, GM Jay Feaster stayed relatively quiet.
“At our meeting with ownership on May 9, we presented a preliminary list of unrestricted free agents at that time,” Feaster said, according to the team’s website. “One of the things we said to ownership was that we didn’t believe the answers to our problems, our situations, our needs were necessarily going to found in unrestricted free agency.”
The Flames did have the cap space necessary to chase just about any free agent if they wanted, but Feaster insists he’s happy with the way things turned out.
“Our cap space was not and is not burning a hole in my pocket,” he said.
“The one thing we didn’t do, and I think it’s something we have done in the past … we’ve given a lot of money for a long period of time. It puts you in a tough situation because typically when you’re doing these deals today, you end up having to give full no-trade, no-moves or partial no-trade, no-moves and it makes the job a lot tougher.”
That doesn’t necessarily mean that the team will go into the 2013-14 campaign largely unchanged. Feaster is still interested in players on the trade market and what he does on that end will be another indication of their new philosophy. Still, for now it seems like they’re exercising much more discipline than they have in the past.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (86)