Jul 6, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have made a big splash at a discount price by signing forward Derek Roy to a one-year, $4 million contract, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward. The Blues noted that the move is still pending a physical.
Roy surpassed the 60-point milestone for four consecutive seasons with the Buffalo Sabres from 2006-07 to 2009-10, but he was limited to just 35 games in 2010-11 and struggled offensively the following season.
The 30-year-old attempted to bounce back in 2013 and ended up with seven goals and 28 points in 42 games between the Dallas Stars and Vancouver Canucks. That wasn’t enough to earn him a lucrative long-term contract, but he’ll get another shot next summer.
Roy gives the Blues another scoring center that should boost the team after they finished in the middle of the pack offensively last season. They still have a little under $8 million left in cap space, according to Cap Geek, but they still need to re-sign restricted free agents Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 48
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (49)