Jul 6, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have made a big splash at a discount price by signing forward Derek Roy to a one-year, $4 million contract, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward. The Blues noted that the move is still pending a physical.
Roy surpassed the 60-point milestone for four consecutive seasons with the Buffalo Sabres from 2006-07 to 2009-10, but he was limited to just 35 games in 2010-11 and struggled offensively the following season.
The 30-year-old attempted to bounce back in 2013 and ended up with seven goals and 28 points in 42 games between the Dallas Stars and Vancouver Canucks. That wasn’t enough to earn him a lucrative long-term contract, but he’ll get another shot next summer.
Roy gives the Blues another scoring center that should boost the team after they finished in the middle of the pack offensively last season. They still have a little under $8 million left in cap space, according to Cap Geek, but they still need to re-sign restricted free agents Alex Pietrangelo and Chris Stewart.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 31
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)