Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
After two seasons in Minnesota, Devin Setoguchi is on his way north.
The former eighth overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft has been traded to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for a 2014 second-round pick, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
A three-time 20-goal scorer that posted a career-high 31 in 2008-09, Setoguchi often fell out of head coach Mike Yeo’s favor while in Minnesota — he was dropped to the fourth line earlier this season — but remained a pretty consistent goalscorer.
That should help the Jets, a team that can struggle offensively. They finished 16th in the NHL in goals per game last year (2.62) and only had three players register double digits in goals — Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Evander Kane.
Setoguchi has one year remaining on the three-year, $9 million deal signed in 2011.
He carries an average annual cap hit of $3 million, probably part of the reason why the Wild were willing to part ways with him — prior to the deal, Minnesota was just $2.2 million under the cap ceiling.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 0
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 5
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 14
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 11
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)