Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
After two seasons in Minnesota, Devin Setoguchi is on his way north.
The former eighth overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft has been traded to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for a 2014 second-round pick, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
A three-time 20-goal scorer that posted a career-high 31 in 2008-09, Setoguchi often fell out of head coach Mike Yeo’s favor while in Minnesota — he was dropped to the fourth line earlier this season — but remained a pretty consistent goalscorer.
That should help the Jets, a team that can struggle offensively. They finished 16th in the NHL in goals per game last year (2.62) and only had three players register double digits in goals — Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Evander Kane.
Setoguchi has one year remaining on the three-year, $9 million deal signed in 2011.
He carries an average annual cap hit of $3 million, probably part of the reason why the Wild were willing to part ways with him — prior to the deal, Minnesota was just $2.2 million under the cap ceiling.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)