Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
After two seasons in Minnesota, Devin Setoguchi is on his way north.
The former eighth overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft has been traded to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for a 2014 second-round pick, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
A three-time 20-goal scorer that posted a career-high 31 in 2008-09, Setoguchi often fell out of head coach Mike Yeo’s favor while in Minnesota — he was dropped to the fourth line earlier this season — but remained a pretty consistent goalscorer.
That should help the Jets, a team that can struggle offensively. They finished 16th in the NHL in goals per game last year (2.62) and only had three players register double digits in goals — Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Evander Kane.
Setoguchi has one year remaining on the three-year, $9 million deal signed in 2011.
He carries an average annual cap hit of $3 million, probably part of the reason why the Wild were willing to part ways with him — prior to the deal, Minnesota was just $2.2 million under the cap ceiling.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)