Jul 5, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
After two seasons in Minnesota, Devin Setoguchi is on his way north.
The former eighth overall pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft has been traded to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for a 2014 second-round pick, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
A three-time 20-goal scorer that posted a career-high 31 in 2008-09, Setoguchi often fell out of head coach Mike Yeo’s favor while in Minnesota — he was dropped to the fourth line earlier this season — but remained a pretty consistent goalscorer.
That should help the Jets, a team that can struggle offensively. They finished 16th in the NHL in goals per game last year (2.62) and only had three players register double digits in goals — Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Evander Kane.
Setoguchi has one year remaining on the three-year, $9 million deal signed in 2011.
He carries an average annual cap hit of $3 million, probably part of the reason why the Wild were willing to part ways with him — prior to the deal, Minnesota was just $2.2 million under the cap ceiling.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 12
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)