Jul 5, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Rob Scuderi is heading home.
The veteran defenseman — who spent his first five NHL seasons in Pittsburgh — has signed with the Penguins on a four-year, $13.5 million deal, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Scuderi will carry an average annual cap hit of $3.375 million.
The deal is remarkably similar to the one Scuderi signed with the Kings in 2009 (four years, $13.6 million), but the investment is probably worth it to Pittsburgh, a club that’s struggled defensively at times and could certainly use Scuderi’s stay-at-home presence.
The former Boston College standout has won two Stanley Cups since 2009 — one with Pittsburgh, one with Los Angeles — and has proven to be an effective player in the postseason, thanks in large part to his shot-blocking and defensive responsibility.
He averaged over 23 minutes per game as the Kings advanced to the Western Conference finals this season — a career-high for ice time — and finished with a solid plus-9 rating.
As for “The Piece” thing — read here.
With the move, the Penguins now have less than $1 million in available cap space, and will be hard pressed to sign any other significant free agents.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)