Jul 5, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
The last time Rob Scuderi suited up for the Pittsburgh Penguins — on June 12, 2009, in Detroit — he got to celebrate a Stanley Cup championship after the game.
Today — after four seasons and another Cup title in Los Angeles — the Pens brought him back, signing the 34-year-old to a four-year, $13.5 million deal.
According to general manager Ray Shero, Scuderi should never have been allowed to get away in the first place.
“It was a mistake to let Scuderi go on my part,” said Shero. “To have the chance at a do-over and bring Rob back, I think that’s a good day for us.”
Back in Pittsburgh, it’s hoped Scuderi can help stabilize a roster that’s loaded with offensive weapons like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang, but has at times been vulnerable defensively.
“I wanted to make sure they remembered who I was, how I played and if they expected anything else,” Scuderi said today, per the Tribune-Review. “The most important thing to me was the fit, and Ray said he knew exactly what I was, and they planned to use me the same way.”
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)