Jul 5, 2013, 5:11 PM EST
The last time Rob Scuderi suited up for the Pittsburgh Penguins — on June 12, 2009, in Detroit — he got to celebrate a Stanley Cup championship after the game.
Today — after four seasons and another Cup title in Los Angeles — the Pens brought him back, signing the 34-year-old to a four-year, $13.5 million deal.
According to general manager Ray Shero, Scuderi should never have been allowed to get away in the first place.
“It was a mistake to let Scuderi go on my part,” said Shero. “To have the chance at a do-over and bring Rob back, I think that’s a good day for us.”
Back in Pittsburgh, it’s hoped Scuderi can help stabilize a roster that’s loaded with offensive weapons like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang, but has at times been vulnerable defensively.
“I wanted to make sure they remembered who I was, how I played and if they expected anything else,” Scuderi said today, per the Tribune-Review. “The most important thing to me was the fit, and Ray said he knew exactly what I was, and they planned to use me the same way.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)