Jul 5, 2013, 5:11 PM EST
The last time Rob Scuderi suited up for the Pittsburgh Penguins — on June 12, 2009, in Detroit — he got to celebrate a Stanley Cup championship after the game.
Today — after four seasons and another Cup title in Los Angeles — the Pens brought him back, signing the 34-year-old to a four-year, $13.5 million deal.
According to general manager Ray Shero, Scuderi should never have been allowed to get away in the first place.
“It was a mistake to let Scuderi go on my part,” said Shero. “To have the chance at a do-over and bring Rob back, I think that’s a good day for us.”
Back in Pittsburgh, it’s hoped Scuderi can help stabilize a roster that’s loaded with offensive weapons like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang, but has at times been vulnerable defensively.
“I wanted to make sure they remembered who I was, how I played and if they expected anything else,” Scuderi said today, per the Tribune-Review. “The most important thing to me was the fit, and Ray said he knew exactly what I was, and they planned to use me the same way.”
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)