Jul 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
In what was a roller coaster of a day for the Ottawa Senators, GM Bryan Murray couldn’t help but describe the low point.
Following a period in which the team lost longtime captain Daniel Alfredsson and gained Bobby Ryan via trade, Murray told reporters the discussion he had with Alfredsson about leaving Ottawa was painful.
“It was a devastating, disappointing conversation,” Murray explained. “Hard to swallow.
“We’re going to miss him as a person, a leader and a guy in the community.”
There was a lot to digest during Murray’s press availability, so here are some bullet points:
– Murray said Alfredsson’s salary demands weren’t an issue and never really played a role. Owner Eugene Melnyk reportedly told the Sens GM “to pay him” (meaning Alfredsson) and that contract negotiations never really got started. (link)
– Murray only talked money/salary once with Alfredsson’s agent, JP Barry, and that was in New York the day before the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. (link)
– Alfredsson was given the option to stick with the club, then be moved at the deadline if the Sens weren’t a Cup contender. He shot the idea down. (link)
– Murray said Alfredsson had been appraised, well in advance, of the organization’s effort to try and deal for Ryan. (link)
All in all, it came across as a very emotional and upsetting development for both the Sens organization and, on a personal level, Murray himself.
The Sens GM tried to put a positive spin on things, but that proved difficult given the circumstances.
“I hope your fans understand that this is something that happens sometimes,” he explained. “It’s hard to lose this guy.”
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)