Jul 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
In what was a roller coaster of a day for the Ottawa Senators, GM Bryan Murray couldn’t help but describe the low point.
Following a period in which the team lost longtime captain Daniel Alfredsson and gained Bobby Ryan via trade, Murray told reporters the discussion he had with Alfredsson about leaving Ottawa was painful.
“It was a devastating, disappointing conversation,” Murray explained. “Hard to swallow.
“We’re going to miss him as a person, a leader and a guy in the community.”
There was a lot to digest during Murray’s press availability, so here are some bullet points:
— Murray said Alfredsson’s salary demands weren’t an issue and never really played a role. Owner Eugene Melnyk reportedly told the Sens GM “to pay him” (meaning Alfredsson) and that contract negotiations never really got started. (link)
— Murray only talked money/salary once with Alfredsson’s agent, JP Barry, and that was in New York the day before the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. (link)
— Alfredsson was given the option to stick with the club, then be moved at the deadline if the Sens weren’t a Cup contender. He shot the idea down. (link)
— Murray said Alfredsson had been appraised, well in advance, of the organization’s effort to try and deal for Ryan. (link)
All in all, it came across as a very emotional and upsetting development for both the Sens organization and, on a personal level, Murray himself.
The Sens GM tried to put a positive spin on things, but that proved difficult given the circumstances.
“I hope your fans understand that this is something that happens sometimes,” he explained. “It’s hard to lose this guy.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38