Jul 5, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
A day that started so badly for Senators fans with the departure of captain Daniel Alfredsson just got a lot more exciting — in a trade first reported by the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the club has acquired star forward Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks.
Ryan has been the subject of trade rumors for some time now. The 26-year-old American, who can already boast four 30-plus-goal seasons in the NHL, has two years left on his contract (cap hit $5.1 million) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Following the big contracts awarded to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, and with UFA forwards Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne still unsigned, the Ryan trade should come as no real surprise. The Ducks have shown a willingness to spend money in the past, but they’re not among the NHL’s leaders in revenue-generation.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (103)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)