Jul 5, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
A day that started so badly for Senators fans with the departure of captain Daniel Alfredsson just got a lot more exciting — in a trade first reported by the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the club has acquired star forward Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks.
Ryan has been the subject of trade rumors for some time now. The 26-year-old American, who can already boast four 30-plus-goal seasons in the NHL, has two years left on his contract (cap hit $5.1 million) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Following the big contracts awarded to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, and with UFA forwards Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne still unsigned, the Ryan trade should come as no real surprise. The Ducks have shown a willingness to spend money in the past, but they’re not among the NHL’s leaders in revenue-generation.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)