Jul 5, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
A day that started so badly for Senators fans with the departure of captain Daniel Alfredsson just got a lot more exciting — in a trade first reported by the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the club has acquired star forward Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks.
Ryan has been the subject of trade rumors for some time now. The 26-year-old American, who can already boast four 30-plus-goal seasons in the NHL, has two years left on his contract (cap hit $5.1 million) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Following the big contracts awarded to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, and with UFA forwards Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne still unsigned, the Ryan trade should come as no real surprise. The Ducks have shown a willingness to spend money in the past, but they’re not among the NHL’s leaders in revenue-generation.
Ottawa…. Im coming in hot—
Bobby Ryan (@b_ryan9) July 05, 2013
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)