Jul 5, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
A day that started so badly for Senators fans with the departure of captain Daniel Alfredsson just got a lot more exciting — in a trade first reported by the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch, the club has acquired star forward Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks.
Ryan has been the subject of trade rumors for some time now. The 26-year-old American, who can already boast four 30-plus-goal seasons in the NHL, has two years left on his contract (cap hit $5.1 million) before he can become an unrestricted free agent.
Following the big contracts awarded to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, and with UFA forwards Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne still unsigned, the Ryan trade should come as no real surprise. The Ducks have shown a willingness to spend money in the past, but they’re not among the NHL’s leaders in revenue-generation.
Ottawa…. Im coming in hot—
Bobby Ryan (@b_ryan9) July 05, 2013
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)