Jul 5, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
If true, it’s a shocking report, considering Alfredsson is (was?) the Sens’ captain and has never played for another team during his 1,000-plus-game career.
An unrestricted free agent, the 40-year-old’s choice is apparently down to Detroit or Boston.
Definitely worth noting at this point: yesterday, the Ottawa Citizen published a detailed story on Eugene Melnyk that suggested the Sens’ owner isn’t close to as rich as he used to be.
The final sentence from the story:
The price he is prepared to pay for Senators talent this year could well be an important clue.
Update: Sounds like the Wings are the team:
Hearing Daniel Alfredsson 99% likely to join the Detroit Red Wings. One-year deal, heavy on bonuses that can be deferred to 2014-15.—
Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) July 05, 2013
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)