Jul 5, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with veteran forward Dominic Moore, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
The deal is believed to be a one-year, $1 million contract, and it’s a nice development given how difficult the last two years have been for the 32-year-old.
In January, Moore’s wife, Katie, passed away after a battle with liver cancer. News of the diagnosis broke a year earlier, when Moore was playing with the San Jose Sharks.
Moore stepped away from the NHL for the 2013 season, but recently told Damien Cox of the Toronto Star he was looking to get back into action.
A former Harvard University standout, Moore began his NHL career with the Rangers in 2003-04, and went on to play for Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Toronto, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Tampa Bay and San Jose.
One of his best seasons came with the Bolts in 2010-11, when he posted a career-high 18 goals in 77 regular-season games, then post up 11 points in 18 playoff games as Tampa Bay advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)