Jul 5, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
He’s coming off a solid campaign with the Tampa Bay Lightning where he scored 20 points in 34 games. He scored 32 and 30 points in two previous full seasons.
The Bolts decided to go in a difference direction this offseason, opting against extending him a qualifying offer on July 1.
The 26-year-old must be getting used to the uncertainty of being an NHL journeyman.
After playing parts of four seasons with the Minnesota Wild – the team that drafted him fourth overall in 2005 – Pouliot was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for Guillaume Latendresse in November 2009. He stuck with the Canadiens for the rest of 2009-10 and all of 2010-11 before bouncing to the Boston Bruins last season and Lightning in 2013.
Many believe that new head coach Alain Vigneault aims to make the Rangers a more offense-leaning team, so Pouliot could provide a nice – if subtle – amount of depth offense.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)