Oilers sign LaBarbera, Gordon away from Phoenix

Jul 5, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT

ST PAUL, MN - MARCH 27: Jason LaBarbera #1 of the Phoenix Coyotes reacts as the puck shot by Ryan Suter #20 of the Minnesota Wild gets past him in the final minute of the third period of the game on March 27, 2013 at Xcel Energy Center in St Paul, Minnesota. The Wild defeated the Coyotes 4-3 in overtime. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images) Getty Images

After a quiet NHL draft, the Edmonton Oilers have been busy in free agency.

We already mentioned the Andrew Ference signing. Well, they’ve also landed goalie Jason LaBarbera, 33, for one year and center Boyd Gordon, 29, for three years.

Both players were with the Coyotes last year.

LaBarbera went 4-6-2 with a .923 save percentage in 2013 and will be expected to push starter Devan Dubnyk in Edmonton.

Gordon, a defensive center that wins faceoffs and kills penalties, should nicely complement offensive centers Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner.

Update: Financial terms, as per Bob McKenzie…

1. jaredphi - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I’ve been lapping PHT pretty badly with comments in the 2013 free agent Tracker post.

I’ve been unable to make new posts to that thread (I think PHT is pulling a hissy fit over me lapping them as comments on that thread maxed out at 30)

SO…here’s the new news:

Pierre-Marc Bouchard 1 year at 2 million to NYI

Ryane Clowe to NJD – 5 years at 4.85 mil a year

Clarke McArthur apparently close to deal with OTT

• Jason Brough - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

“Lapping PHT pretty badly”…should we just do one big post copying and pasting off twitter?
      Nah, we’ll just leave it to you. You work cheap.

• jaredphi - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I work cheap b/c I’m passionate about the game. Plus, I figure most fans want to know the deals ASAP so just giving folks what I suspect they want.

Nice photo there…Narcissist much?

• Jason Brough - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

That’s John Madden, friend.

2. thailer35 - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Gonna miss Gordon and barbs in Phoenix. Both great players with tons of heart.

• wisbadgers - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Agree with Boyd Gordon. Not so much with LaBarbera. I like their chances better with Griess.

3. ray2013 - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM