Jul 5, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have made their third significant signing of the free agency period, agreeing to terms with former Washington forward Matt Hendricks on a four-year, $7.4 million deal.
The deal carries an average annual cap hit of $1.85 million.
Hendricks, 31, blossomed from a fringe NHLer to a lineup regular in the nation’s capital.
He put up a career-high 25 points in his first season with Washington (2010-11) and carved himself a unique role as a tough guy, game fighter, good faceoff man, respected teammate and quality shootout participant.
Hendricks was in the final season of a two-year, $1.65 million deal signed with the Caps in 2011.
There was believed to be a number of teams interested in his services — the Rangers inquired, as did the Vancouver Canucks — but it’s unlikely any were willing to commit the type of term and money Nashville did.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)