Jul 5, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It appears that Bernier isn’t a restricted free agent any longer, as the team signed him to a two-year, $5.8 million contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. That 2.9 million cap hit is a little more than a million over Reimer’s $1.8 million mark.
That doesn’t mean the team is rolling out the red carpet for Bernier, but it is quite the statement from a front office that has made a ton of big moves in the last few days.
The 24-year-old only has 62 regular season games on his NHL resume and has never appeared in more than 25 in a season, so he’s getting a big chance to prove that he’s worthy of the hype that comes with being the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
Hopefully the young netminder is really ready for the pressure, because the spotlight will shine brightly on him this season.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 18
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9