Jul 5, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It appears that Bernier isn’t a restricted free agent any longer, as the team signed him to a two-year, $5.8 million contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. That 2.9 million cap hit is a little more than a million over Reimer’s $1.8 million mark.
That doesn’t mean the team is rolling out the red carpet for Bernier, but it is quite the statement from a front office that has made a ton of big moves in the last few days.
The 24-year-old only has 62 regular season games on his NHL resume and has never appeared in more than 25 in a season, so he’s getting a big chance to prove that he’s worthy of the hype that comes with being the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
Hopefully the young netminder is really ready for the pressure, because the spotlight will shine brightly on him this season.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)