Jul 5, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
It appears that Bernier isn’t a restricted free agent any longer, as the team signed him to a two-year, $5.8 million contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. That 2.9 million cap hit is a little more than a million over Reimer’s $1.8 million mark.
That doesn’t mean the team is rolling out the red carpet for Bernier, but it is quite the statement from a front office that has made a ton of big moves in the last few days.
The 24-year-old only has 62 regular season games on his NHL resume and has never appeared in more than 25 in a season, so he’s getting a big chance to prove that he’s worthy of the hype that comes with being the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
Hopefully the young netminder is really ready for the pressure, because the spotlight will shine brightly on him this season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)