Jul 5, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
It appears that Bernier isn’t a restricted free agent any longer, as the team signed him to a two-year, $5.8 million contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. That 2.9 million cap hit is a little more than a million over Reimer’s $1.8 million mark.
That doesn’t mean the team is rolling out the red carpet for Bernier, but it is quite the statement from a front office that has made a ton of big moves in the last few days.
The 24-year-old only has 62 regular season games on his NHL resume and has never appeared in more than 25 in a season, so he’s getting a big chance to prove that he’s worthy of the hype that comes with being the 11th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.
Hopefully the young netminder is really ready for the pressure, because the spotlight will shine brightly on him this season.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)