Jul 5, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
Schultz, 27, was bought out of his four-year, $11 million deal (one year, $3 million in salary remaining) this week after requesting a trade — to which the Caps found no takers.
He averaged career-low 14:15 in ice time during the 2013 season and became increasingly frustrated with his role on the team.
According to the Examiner’s Brian McNally, Schultz first requested a move in mid-March when it became apparent head coach Adam Oates bumped him down the depth chart (this coming from Schultz’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet).
Schultz only appeared in 26 regular season contests this year and didn’t play in the postseason, as Oates opted to go with a six-man defensive unit comprised of Karl Alzner, Mike Green, John Carlson, John Erskine, Jack Hillen and Steven Oleksy.
A towering presence at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Schultz was Washington’s first round pick (27th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and had spent his entire career with the Caps.
His best year came in 2009-10, when he posted a career-high 23 points and led the NHL in plus-minus, with a +50 rating.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)