Jul 5, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
Schultz, 27, was bought out of his four-year, $11 million deal (one year, $3 million in salary remaining) this week after requesting a trade — to which the Caps found no takers.
He averaged career-low 14:15 in ice time during the 2013 season and became increasingly frustrated with his role on the team.
According to the Examiner’s Brian McNally, Schultz first requested a move in mid-March when it became apparent head coach Adam Oates bumped him down the depth chart (this coming from Schultz’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet).
Schultz only appeared in 26 regular season contests this year and didn’t play in the postseason, as Oates opted to go with a six-man defensive unit comprised of Karl Alzner, Mike Green, John Carlson, John Erskine, Jack Hillen and Steven Oleksy.
A towering presence at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Schultz was Washington’s first round pick (27th overall) at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and had spent his entire career with the Caps.
His best year came in 2009-10, when he posted a career-high 23 points and led the NHL in plus-minus, with a +50 rating.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)