Jul 5, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
The New York Islanders continued to stay active in free agency on Friday, signing longtime Minnesota Wild forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard to a one-year, $2 million deal.
Bouchard, 29, was Minnesota’s first-round selection (eighth overall) at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, debuted at age 18, and appeared in 565 regular-season and 21 playoff games for the club.
A talented scorer and good set-up man, Bouchard posted three 55-plus point campaigns from 2005-08 and finished 20th in the NHL in assists (50) during the 2007-08 campaign.
The later stages of his career in Minnesota were marred by concussion issues — he missed 149 games from 2009-12 — but he did rebound to appear in 43 contests last season, scoring 20 points, and had two points in five playoff games against Chicago in the opening round.
This season marked the final year of Bouchard’s five-year, $20.4 million deal signed in 2008.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 63
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)