Jul 5, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
Almost a week after the fact, it remains unclear how Luongo feels about the move and what his intentions are for next season. The 34-year-old wanted and expected to be traded, but ultimately his contract meant it was Schneider who was moved.
This afternoon, general manager Mike Gillis was asked about Luongo’s options.
And what if Luongo doesn’t show up to play? Well, we’re not lawyers here. However, here’s what PHT legal analyst Eric Macramalla told us during the lockout when Alex Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk were threatening to stay in the KHL…
An NHL contract, which is called a “Standard Player Contract” or an “SPC”, provides at Section 14(b) that a team has the right to terminate a contract if that player shall “fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this Contract”.
Not rendering services would include not showing up for work. So while Ovechkin and/or Kovalchuk wouldn’t be in a position to challenge the validity of their contracts, they could elect not to return to the NHL, thereby setting in motion a series of events that would end with their clubs terminating their contracts.
It seems unlikely that Luongo would risk voiding a contract that still has $40.6 million left to be paid out, not to mention the risk of getting sued for damages.
Still, he did say in April that he’d “scrap” his contract if he could.
Maybe that was more than just his frustration talking?
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)