Jul 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Ray Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but he’ll get a chance to be number one next season for the Flyers.
The 30-year-old has signed a one-year, $1.65 million deal in Philadelphia, where he’ll compete with another newcomer, Steve Mason, for starting duties after the Flyers used one of their compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Emery went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the 2013 regular season before watching Corey Crawford help Chicago win the Stanley Cup.
Originally drafted by Ottawa in 2001, Emery backstopped the Senators to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, won by the Anaheim Ducks.
Emery already knows Philadelphia well; he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10, going 16-11-1 with a .905 save percentage.
So…has Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren done his job and addressed his team’s goaltending?
Depends how you look at it. On the one hand, he’s got two experienced NHL netminders under contract. On the other, there are big questions about both of them. As mentioned, Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Mason hasn’t had a good season since his rookie campaign in 2008-09.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 0
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 7
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 19
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)