Jul 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Ray Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but he’ll get a chance to be number one next season for the Flyers.
The 30-year-old has signed a one-year, $1.65 million deal in Philadelphia, where he’ll compete with another newcomer, Steve Mason, for starting duties after the Flyers used one of their compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Emery went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the 2013 regular season before watching Corey Crawford help Chicago win the Stanley Cup.
Originally drafted by Ottawa in 2001, Emery backstopped the Senators to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, won by the Anaheim Ducks.
Emery already knows Philadelphia well; he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10, going 16-11-1 with a .905 save percentage.
So…has Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren done his job and addressed his team’s goaltending?
Depends how you look at it. On the one hand, he’s got two experienced NHL netminders under contract. On the other, there are big questions about both of them. As mentioned, Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Mason hasn’t had a good season since his rookie campaign in 2008-09.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)