Jul 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Ray Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but he’ll get a chance to be number one next season for the Flyers.
The 30-year-old has signed a one-year, $1.65 million deal in Philadelphia, where he’ll compete with another newcomer, Steve Mason, for starting duties after the Flyers used one of their compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Emery went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the 2013 regular season before watching Corey Crawford help Chicago win the Stanley Cup.
Originally drafted by Ottawa in 2001, Emery backstopped the Senators to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, won by the Anaheim Ducks.
Emery already knows Philadelphia well; he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10, going 16-11-1 with a .905 save percentage.
So…has Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren done his job and addressed his team’s goaltending?
Depends how you look at it. On the one hand, he’s got two experienced NHL netminders under contract. On the other, there are big questions about both of them. As mentioned, Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Mason hasn’t had a good season since his rookie campaign in 2008-09.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)