Jul 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Ray Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but he’ll get a chance to be number one next season for the Flyers.
The 30-year-old has signed a one-year, $1.65 million deal in Philadelphia, where he’ll compete with another newcomer, Steve Mason, for starting duties after the Flyers used one of their compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Emery went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the 2013 regular season before watching Corey Crawford help Chicago win the Stanley Cup.
Originally drafted by Ottawa in 2001, Emery backstopped the Senators to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, won by the Anaheim Ducks.
Emery already knows Philadelphia well; he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10, going 16-11-1 with a .905 save percentage.
So…has Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren done his job and addressed his team’s goaltending?
Depends how you look at it. On the one hand, he’s got two experienced NHL netminders under contract. On the other, there are big questions about both of them. As mentioned, Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Mason hasn’t had a good season since his rookie campaign in 2008-09.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)