Jul 5, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Ray Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but he’ll get a chance to be number one next season for the Flyers.
The 30-year-old has signed a one-year, $1.65 million deal in Philadelphia, where he’ll compete with another newcomer, Steve Mason, for starting duties after the Flyers used one of their compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Emery went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the 2013 regular season before watching Corey Crawford help Chicago win the Stanley Cup.
Originally drafted by Ottawa in 2001, Emery backstopped the Senators to the 2007 Stanley Cup Final, won by the Anaheim Ducks.
Emery already knows Philadelphia well; he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10, going 16-11-1 with a .905 save percentage.
So…has Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren done his job and addressed his team’s goaltending?
Depends how you look at it. On the one hand, he’s got two experienced NHL netminders under contract. On the other, there are big questions about both of them. As mentioned, Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Mason hasn’t had a good season since his rookie campaign in 2008-09.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)