Jul 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Saku Koivu will be back for a fourth year in Anaheim.
On Friday, the Ducks announced they signed the 38-year-old to a one-year, $2.5 million deal (with some performance bonuses.)
The Finnish center had a solid 2013 campaign, scoring 8G-19A in 47 games, racking up another 1G-2A in seven playoff appearances.
He’s been a solid, durable and dependable player ever since coming over from Montreal in 2009. Koivu has played in at least 86 percent of Anaheim’s games every season and is plus-17 since joining the Ducks.
By shedding Ryan’s salary, retaining Koivu was made that much easier — the club also left the option open to bring back Finnish running mate Teemu Selanne and still reach deals with RFAs Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey.
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 3
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 28
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13