Jul 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Saku Koivu will be back for a fourth year in Anaheim.
On Friday, the Ducks announced they signed the 38-year-old to a one-year, $2.5 million deal (with some performance bonuses.)
The Finnish center had a solid 2013 campaign, scoring 8G-19A in 47 games, racking up another 1G-2A in seven playoff appearances.
He’s been a solid, durable and dependable player ever since coming over from Montreal in 2009. Koivu has played in at least 86 percent of Anaheim’s games every season and is plus-17 since joining the Ducks.
By shedding Ryan’s salary, retaining Koivu was made that much easier — the club also left the option open to bring back Finnish running mate Teemu Selanne and still reach deals with RFAs Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)