Jul 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Saku Koivu will be back for a fourth year in Anaheim.
On Friday, the Ducks announced they signed the 38-year-old to a one-year, $2.5 million deal (with some performance bonuses.)
The Finnish center had a solid 2013 campaign, scoring 8G-19A in 47 games, racking up another 1G-2A in seven playoff appearances.
He’s been a solid, durable and dependable player ever since coming over from Montreal in 2009. Koivu has played in at least 86 percent of Anaheim’s games every season and is plus-17 since joining the Ducks.
By shedding Ryan’s salary, retaining Koivu was made that much easier — the club also left the option open to bring back Finnish running mate Teemu Selanne and still reach deals with RFAs Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)