Jul 5, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
Saku Koivu will be back for a fourth year in Anaheim.
On Friday, the Ducks announced they signed the 38-year-old to a one-year, $2.5 million deal (with some performance bonuses.)
The Finnish center had a solid 2013 campaign, scoring 8G-19A in 47 games, racking up another 1G-2A in seven playoff appearances.
He’s been a solid, durable and dependable player ever since coming over from Montreal in 2009. Koivu has played in at least 86 percent of Anaheim’s games every season and is plus-17 since joining the Ducks.
By shedding Ryan’s salary, retaining Koivu was made that much easier — the club also left the option open to bring back Finnish running mate Teemu Selanne and still reach deals with RFAs Kyle Palmieri and Matt Beleskey.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)