Jul 5, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
Hey, if you can’t beat them (one time in a playoff series), join them.
Iginla’s deal hinges on performance-based incentives, which ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun breaks down:
Base salary: $1.8 million
Games played bonus: $3.7 million
Goal-scoring/team playoff performance: $500K
On a frenzied day full of wild twists, this move ranks up among those most unexpected – and amusing – turn of events.
As you may remember, many believed that the 36-year-old was traded to Boston around trade deadline time. Instead, Iginla asked for a trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins, who were summarily swept by the Bruins in the 2013 Eastern Conference finals.
Of course, that Bruins team already looks dramatically different from the one that held the aging winger pointless in four high-profile postseason contests.
Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley were traded out of town. Nathan Horton signed a big deal with the Columbus Blue Jackets while Andrew Ference left for the Edmonton Oilers. All of that sets the table for Iginla to be a welcome addition.
So … Bruins fans might want to take back all of those mean things they screamed when he was wearing a Penguins sweater.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Blues and Wild meet tonight in Game 3 at Xcel.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Meaning he’ll be eligible to play in Tuesday’s Game 4 in Calgary.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Kings have yet to comment on situation.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (81)