Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have signed power forward Ryane Clowe to a five-year deal worth $4.85 million per season.
First reaction for many: that’s a lot of money for a player coming off a frustrating year offensively. The 30-year-0ld managed just three goals in 40 games with the Sharks and Rangers.
But Clowe has scored 20-plus goals twice during his career, his best season coming in 2010-11 when he had 24 goals and 38 assists for the Sharks. He also has a reputation for performing in the playoffs.
With the Devils committing over $24 million to Clowe, it seems unlikely winger David Clarkson will be back in New Jersey.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25