Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have signed power forward Ryane Clowe to a five-year deal worth $4.85 million per season.
First reaction for many: that’s a lot of money for a player coming off a frustrating year offensively. The 30-year-0ld managed just three goals in 40 games with the Sharks and Rangers.
But Clowe has scored 20-plus goals twice during his career, his best season coming in 2010-11 when he had 24 goals and 38 assists for the Sharks. He also has a reputation for performing in the playoffs.
With the Devils committing over $24 million to Clowe, it seems unlikely winger David Clarkson will be back in New Jersey.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)