Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have signed power forward Ryane Clowe to a five-year deal worth $4.85 million per season.
First reaction for many: that’s a lot of money for a player coming off a frustrating year offensively. The 30-year-0ld managed just three goals in 40 games with the Sharks and Rangers.
But Clowe has scored 20-plus goals twice during his career, his best season coming in 2010-11 when he had 24 goals and 38 assists for the Sharks. He also has a reputation for performing in the playoffs.
With the Devils committing over $24 million to Clowe, it seems unlikely winger David Clarkson will be back in New Jersey.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)