Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have signed power forward Ryane Clowe to a five-year deal worth $4.85 million per season.
First reaction for many: that’s a lot of money for a player coming off a frustrating year offensively. The 30-year-0ld managed just three goals in 40 games with the Sharks and Rangers.
But Clowe has scored 20-plus goals twice during his career, his best season coming in 2010-11 when he had 24 goals and 38 assists for the Sharks. He also has a reputation for performing in the playoffs.
With the Devils committing over $24 million to Clowe, it seems unlikely winger David Clarkson will be back in New Jersey.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20