Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have signed power forward Ryane Clowe to a five-year deal worth $4.85 million per season.
First reaction for many: that’s a lot of money for a player coming off a frustrating year offensively. The 30-year-0ld managed just three goals in 40 games with the Sharks and Rangers.
But Clowe has scored 20-plus goals twice during his career, his best season coming in 2010-11 when he had 24 goals and 38 assists for the Sharks. He also has a reputation for performing in the playoffs.
With the Devils committing over $24 million to Clowe, it seems unlikely winger David Clarkson will be back in New Jersey.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)