Jul 5, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
In “free agent frenzy” terms, Ryder’s $3.5 million cap hit could be considered a relative bargain.
He scored 35 points in 46 regular season games between the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens in 2013 and collected a career-high 35 goals in 2011-12 with Dallas. The 33-year-old also won a Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins in 2011.
Fun fact: both Clowe and Ryder are from Newfoundland. Perhaps that factored into Ryder joining the Devils?
Either way, this is the cherry on top of a busy week for GM Lou Lamoriello, who landed big free agents on Friday, re-signed Patrik Elias and Dainius Zubrus earlier this week and made that splashy trade for Cory Schneider at the draft.
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)