Jul 5, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
In “free agent frenzy” terms, Ryder’s $3.5 million cap hit could be considered a relative bargain.
He scored 35 points in 46 regular season games between the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens in 2013 and collected a career-high 35 goals in 2011-12 with Dallas. The 33-year-old also won a Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins in 2011.
Fun fact: both Clowe and Ryder are from Newfoundland. Perhaps that factored into Ryder joining the Devils?
Either way, this is the cherry on top of a busy week for GM Lou Lamoriello, who landed big free agents on Friday, re-signed Patrik Elias and Dainius Zubrus earlier this week and made that splashy trade for Cory Schneider at the draft.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54