Jul 5, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
In “free agent frenzy” terms, Ryder’s $3.5 million cap hit could be considered a relative bargain.
He scored 35 points in 46 regular season games between the Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens in 2013 and collected a career-high 35 goals in 2011-12 with Dallas. The 33-year-old also won a Stanley Cup with the Boston Bruins in 2011.
Fun fact: both Clowe and Ryder are from Newfoundland. Perhaps that factored into Ryder joining the Devils?
Either way, this is the cherry on top of a busy week for GM Lou Lamoriello, who landed big free agents on Friday, re-signed Patrik Elias and Dainius Zubrus earlier this week and made that splashy trade for Cory Schneider at the draft.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 4
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)