Jul 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Mike Ribeiro was looking for term and a nice payday upon hitting free agency.
Today, he got both.
The Phoenix Coyotes — who have been actively spending to start the free agent frenzy — have agreed to a four-year, $22 million deal with the former Washington forward, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
McKenzie also notes the deal carries a partial no-trade/no movement clause.
Ribeiro will carry a $5.5 million annual cap hit — up from the $5 million he made on his last deal — and immediately challenge for Phoenix’s No. 1 center position.
Ribeiro, 33, did enjoy a tremendous 2013 campaign, scoring 49 points in 48 games as the Caps won the Southeast Division.
He finished tied for 11th in NHL scoring (with Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf and Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk) and finished just seven points back of teammate Alex Ovechkin, who captured the Hart Trophy as league MVP.
Signing in Phoenix brings Ribeiro back to the Western Conference, where he spent six seasons playing for Dallas from 2006-12.
He enjoyed some very successful times with the Stars, including a career-high 83-point performance during the 2007-08 campaign.
As for Phoenix, this is their second big monetary commitment of the day. The club kicked off free agency by signing Finnish forward Lauri Korpikoski to a four-year, $10 million deal.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)