Jul 5, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Mike Ribeiro was looking for term and a nice payday upon hitting free agency.
Today, he got both.
The Phoenix Coyotes — who have been actively spending to start the free agent frenzy — have agreed to a four-year, $22 million deal with the former Washington forward, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
McKenzie also notes the deal carries a partial no-trade/no movement clause.
Ribeiro will carry a $5.5 million annual cap hit — up from the $5 million he made on his last deal — and immediately challenge for Phoenix’s No. 1 center position.
Ribeiro, 33, did enjoy a tremendous 2013 campaign, scoring 49 points in 48 games as the Caps won the Southeast Division.
He finished tied for 11th in NHL scoring (with Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf and Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk) and finished just seven points back of teammate Alex Ovechkin, who captured the Hart Trophy as league MVP.
Signing in Phoenix brings Ribeiro back to the Western Conference, where he spent six seasons playing for Dallas from 2006-12.
He enjoyed some very successful times with the Stars, including a career-high 83-point performance during the 2007-08 campaign.
As for Phoenix, this is their second big monetary commitment of the day. The club kicked off free agency by signing Finnish forward Lauri Korpikoski to a four-year, $10 million deal.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)