Jul 5, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
And now, a new one begins in the Motor City.
Alfredsson, 40, has agreed to a one-year, $5.5 million deal with the Detroit Red Wings, according to multiple sources. The deal is believed to be $3.5 million in base salary and $2 million contingent upon performance bonuses, as per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
It’s was understood that Alfredsson would only leave Ottawa — the city he’s played in since 1995 — to play for a contender.
In Detroit, he’s getting exactly that.
Alfredsson joins club boasting veteran experience and promising youngsters that was one game away from the Western Conference finals a year ago, pushing the eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks to Game 7 (overtime, no less) in the second round.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)