Jul 4, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Phoenix general manager Don Maloney has a message for this year’s crop of free agent: We’re not going anywhere, so let’s chat.
And if you can put the puck in the net, let’s really chat.
The Coyotes, of course, just received the vote they needed from the City of Glendale that should keep them playing in Jobing.com Arena for at least five more years.
Though the club’s long-term future remains somewhat up in the air, there’s more stability now than there’s been in quite some time.
“Now I feel we’re in the game as much as New York and Chicago and Boston and Toronto and any of these teams. We have a lot to sell down here, a tremendous place to work and play,” Maloney told ESPN’s Craig Custance yesterday. “It’s the best fall, spring and winter in the NHL, a good building, great coach and good program. That’s exciting for us.”
Granted, one agent told Custance that the five-year out clause that’s part of the Coyotes’ new lease is “definitely a complication” for the club.
But compared to what Maloney has had to dance around before, that’s nothing.
The Coyotes are in the market for scoring forwards, by the way.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)