Jul 4, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Phoenix general manager Don Maloney has a message for this year’s crop of free agent: We’re not going anywhere, so let’s chat.
And if you can put the puck in the net, let’s really chat.
The Coyotes, of course, just received the vote they needed from the City of Glendale that should keep them playing in Jobing.com Arena for at least five more years.
Though the club’s long-term future remains somewhat up in the air, there’s more stability now than there’s been in quite some time.
“Now I feel we’re in the game as much as New York and Chicago and Boston and Toronto and any of these teams. We have a lot to sell down here, a tremendous place to work and play,” Maloney told ESPN’s Craig Custance yesterday. “It’s the best fall, spring and winter in the NHL, a good building, great coach and good program. That’s exciting for us.”
Granted, one agent told Custance that the five-year out clause that’s part of the Coyotes’ new lease is “definitely a complication” for the club.
But compared to what Maloney has had to dance around before, that’s nothing.
The Coyotes are in the market for scoring forwards, by the way.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)