Jul 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
John Tortorella’s relationship with the media while serving as the head coach of the New York Rangers was often heated, to the point where he recently lamented that he had been defined as “that lunatic.”
Tortorella was been fired by the Rangers and hired as the head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. It’s a chance for a new start and that’s something he wants to take advantage of.
“I know the scrutiny and the pressure and the media and I think I need to do a much better job at cultivating a relationship,” Tortorella told TSN Radio 1050. “There will be mistakes along the way but I certainly need to straighten a few things out as we begin this.”
Of course, we’ll have to wait until we get into the heart of the regular season and then playoffs before we have a good idea of how Tortorella’s handling of the Vancouver media will be any different. However, Tortorella insists that this is something he genuinely believes in.
“Listen, I’m not going to go out to dinner and hang with the media but I need a working relationship,” Tortorella said. He added that it won’t be a “love-fest.”
Tortorella’s renewed efforts come after he had time to reflect in between jobs.
“No matter if it’s in Vancouver or wherever, and I’m very fortunate for another stop here, when you’re told you’re no longer wanted as a coach, you end up reflecting and assessing,” said Tortorella.
“I’ve done some pretty stupid things along the way… I’m going to try and get some of the stupid things out of the way.”
Luongo was originally going to speak to 99.3 The Fox today, but that interview was canceled.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)