Jul 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
John Tortorella’s relationship with the media while serving as the head coach of the New York Rangers was often heated, to the point where he recently lamented that he had been defined as “that lunatic.”
Tortorella was been fired by the Rangers and hired as the head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. It’s a chance for a new start and that’s something he wants to take advantage of.
“I know the scrutiny and the pressure and the media and I think I need to do a much better job at cultivating a relationship,” Tortorella told TSN Radio 1050. “There will be mistakes along the way but I certainly need to straighten a few things out as we begin this.”
Of course, we’ll have to wait until we get into the heart of the regular season and then playoffs before we have a good idea of how Tortorella’s handling of the Vancouver media will be any different. However, Tortorella insists that this is something he genuinely believes in.
“Listen, I’m not going to go out to dinner and hang with the media but I need a working relationship,” Tortorella said. He added that it won’t be a “love-fest.”
Tortorella’s renewed efforts come after he had time to reflect in between jobs.
“No matter if it’s in Vancouver or wherever, and I’m very fortunate for another stop here, when you’re told you’re no longer wanted as a coach, you end up reflecting and assessing,” said Tortorella.
“I’ve done some pretty stupid things along the way… I’m going to try and get some of the stupid things out of the way.”
Luongo was originally going to speak to 99.3 The Fox today, but that interview was canceled.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)