Jul 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
John Tortorella’s relationship with the media while serving as the head coach of the New York Rangers was often heated, to the point where he recently lamented that he had been defined as “that lunatic.”
Tortorella was been fired by the Rangers and hired as the head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. It’s a chance for a new start and that’s something he wants to take advantage of.
“I know the scrutiny and the pressure and the media and I think I need to do a much better job at cultivating a relationship,” Tortorella told TSN Radio 1050. “There will be mistakes along the way but I certainly need to straighten a few things out as we begin this.”
Of course, we’ll have to wait until we get into the heart of the regular season and then playoffs before we have a good idea of how Tortorella’s handling of the Vancouver media will be any different. However, Tortorella insists that this is something he genuinely believes in.
“Listen, I’m not going to go out to dinner and hang with the media but I need a working relationship,” Tortorella said. He added that it won’t be a “love-fest.”
Tortorella’s renewed efforts come after he had time to reflect in between jobs.
“No matter if it’s in Vancouver or wherever, and I’m very fortunate for another stop here, when you’re told you’re no longer wanted as a coach, you end up reflecting and assessing,” said Tortorella.
“I’ve done some pretty stupid things along the way… I’m going to try and get some of the stupid things out of the way.”
Luongo was originally going to speak to 99.3 The Fox today, but that interview was canceled.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22