Jul 4, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
After earning a Jack Adams nomination in his first year on the job, then winning the trophy in his second, Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean has been rewarded with a three-year contract extension.
“In two years, Paul has made a significant impact on the entire franchise, both on and off the ice,” Sens GM Bryan Murray said in a statement. “We feel that under Paul’s direction we have been able to develop into a team that is competitive each and every night and we are confident that he is the person we want behind the bench to lead us to our goal of being a championship level team.”
MacLean, 55, has enjoyed tremendous success in Ottawa since inheriting the head coaching gig from Cory Clouston in 2011.
He led the club to a 41-win, 92-point campaign in 2011-12, earning a surprise playoff berth and the aforementioned Adams nomination (eventually won by St. Louis’ Ken Hitchcock).
This year, MacLean outdid that performance — in the face of major adversity.
The Sens were without the services of Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson for large portions of the season, yet still managed to finish seventh in the Eastern Conference (25-17-6) — one spot higher than the season prior — and win a playoff round for the first time since 2007.
“Paul represents what we want to become as both a hockey club and as a franchise,” said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. “He is a hard-working coach and an outstanding teacher and mentor of the game.
“I am very pleased and proud to extend Paul’s contract and look forward to his many future contributions to our team and to our city.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54