Jul 4, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars went from a team that was light on centers to one with three new options in that spot on Thursday.
First, they acquired Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley via a blockbuster trade with the Boston Bruins. That wasn’t GM Jim Nill’s only big swap of the day, as he’s reportedly on the verge of landing Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger.
One could also argue that Horcoff, 34, replaces much of what was lost when the Stars traded their former captain Brenden Morrow. Both are well-respected, blood-and-guts (former) captains whose contracts draw criticism.* Each player wears No. 10, as well.
Horcoff carries a $5.5 million cap hit through 2014-15. If the Stars have any concerns about hitting the cap floor, his deal could be a benefit, though; his salary is lower than his cap hit in the two final seasons ($4 million in 2013-14 and $3 million in 2014-15).
From the Oilers’ perspective, one could say that the team completed the transition from being Horcoff’s team to budding stars such as Taylor Hall taking over.
In more direct terms, Edmonton dumps some salary and possibly bolsters its shaky defense by adding Larsen, who has 95 NHL games of experience at 23.
* Or drew criticism, in the case of impending free agent Morrow.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 38
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)