Jul 4, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars went from a team that was light on centers to one with three new options in that spot on Thursday.
First, they acquired Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley via a blockbuster trade with the Boston Bruins. That wasn’t GM Jim Nill’s only big swap of the day, as he’s reportedly on the verge of landing Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger.
One could also argue that Horcoff, 34, replaces much of what was lost when the Stars traded their former captain Brenden Morrow. Both are well-respected, blood-and-guts (former) captains whose contracts draw criticism.* Each player wears No. 10, as well.
Horcoff carries a $5.5 million cap hit through 2014-15. If the Stars have any concerns about hitting the cap floor, his deal could be a benefit, though; his salary is lower than his cap hit in the two final seasons ($4 million in 2013-14 and $3 million in 2014-15).
From the Oilers’ perspective, one could say that the team completed the transition from being Horcoff’s team to budding stars such as Taylor Hall taking over.
In more direct terms, Edmonton dumps some salary and possibly bolsters its shaky defense by adding Larsen, who has 95 NHL games of experience at 23.
* Or drew criticism, in the case of impending free agent Morrow.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)