Jul 4, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars went from a team that was light on centers to one with three new options in that spot on Thursday.
First, they acquired Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley via a blockbuster trade with the Boston Bruins. That wasn’t GM Jim Nill’s only big swap of the day, as he’s reportedly on the verge of landing Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger.
One could also argue that Horcoff, 34, replaces much of what was lost when the Stars traded their former captain Brenden Morrow. Both are well-respected, blood-and-guts (former) captains whose contracts draw criticism.* Each player wears No. 10, as well.
Horcoff carries a $5.5 million cap hit through 2014-15. If the Stars have any concerns about hitting the cap floor, his deal could be a benefit, though; his salary is lower than his cap hit in the two final seasons ($4 million in 2013-14 and $3 million in 2014-15).
From the Oilers’ perspective, one could say that the team completed the transition from being Horcoff’s team to budding stars such as Taylor Hall taking over.
In more direct terms, Edmonton dumps some salary and possibly bolsters its shaky defense by adding Larsen, who has 95 NHL games of experience at 23.
* Or drew criticism, in the case of impending free agent Morrow.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)