Jul 4, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars went from a team that was light on centers to one with three new options in that spot on Thursday.
First, they acquired Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley via a blockbuster trade with the Boston Bruins. That wasn’t GM Jim Nill’s only big swap of the day, as he’s reportedly on the verge of landing Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger.
One could also argue that Horcoff, 34, replaces much of what was lost when the Stars traded their former captain Brenden Morrow. Both are well-respected, blood-and-guts (former) captains whose contracts draw criticism.* Each player wears No. 10, as well.
Horcoff carries a $5.5 million cap hit through 2014-15. If the Stars have any concerns about hitting the cap floor, his deal could be a benefit, though; his salary is lower than his cap hit in the two final seasons ($4 million in 2013-14 and $3 million in 2014-15).
From the Oilers’ perspective, one could say that the team completed the transition from being Horcoff’s team to budding stars such as Taylor Hall taking over.
In more direct terms, Edmonton dumps some salary and possibly bolsters its shaky defense by adding Larsen, who has 95 NHL games of experience at 23.
* Or drew criticism, in the case of impending free agent Morrow.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)