Jul 4, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
Tim Leiweke was recently appointed as the CEO and President of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), and it looks like he’s already trying to make a major move, according to TSN.
He’s spoken with Wayne Gretzky on several occasions about the possibility of Gretzky accepting an executive role with MLSE. However, it sounds like those talks didn’t produce immediate results.
The two sides have put the discussion on hold for now and might come back to it later.
Before joining MLSE, Leiweke worked for Anschutz Entertainment Group, which has a stake in, among other things, the Los Angeles Kings and MLS Los Angeles Galaxy. Leiweke was credited as one of the major players in bringing David Beckham to the Galaxy.
Meanwhile, Gretzky hasn’t served in an executive role with an NHL team since parting ways with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009.
It’s worth adding that this isn’t the first time Gretzky has been linked to the Maple Leafs. Rumors surfaced earlier this year about the possibility of Gretzky becoming the Leafs’ next team president. The Great One later shot down those reports.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)