Jul 4, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
Tim Leiweke was recently appointed as the CEO and President of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), and it looks like he’s already trying to make a major move, according to TSN.
He’s spoken with Wayne Gretzky on several occasions about the possibility of Gretzky accepting an executive role with MLSE. However, it sounds like those talks didn’t produce immediate results.
The two sides have put the discussion on hold for now and might come back to it later.
Before joining MLSE, Leiweke worked for Anschutz Entertainment Group, which has a stake in, among other things, the Los Angeles Kings and MLS Los Angeles Galaxy. Leiweke was credited as one of the major players in bringing David Beckham to the Galaxy.
Meanwhile, Gretzky hasn’t served in an executive role with an NHL team since parting ways with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009.
It’s worth adding that this isn’t the first time Gretzky has been linked to the Maple Leafs. Rumors surfaced earlier this year about the possibility of Gretzky becoming the Leafs’ next team president. The Great One later shot down those reports.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)