Report: Flyers hand Claude Giroux eight-year, $66.2M extension

Jul 4, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT

claudegirouxgetty Getty Images

The Philadelphia Flyers locked up their captain and the face of their franchise on Thursday, agreeing to an eight-year, $66.2 million contract with Claude Giroux, according to CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.

That means the Flyers will see one of the NHL’s greatest bargain cap hits in 2013-14 ($3.75 million) mushroom to $8.275 million beginning in 2014-15. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract includes a full no-movement clause.

Update: the deal isn’t officially wrapped up yet. GM Paul Holmgren says it’s close, however, and could be finalized on Friday or Saturday, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.

With Giroux’s new deal factored in, Cap Geek estimates that the Flyers will have $51.82 million in cap space devoted to 14 players in 2014-15.

Still, this is the price of doing business, especially when you consider the fact that head coach Peter Laviolette called the 25-year-old star “the best player in the world.”

1. girouxed - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

G!!!

Bring us the cup! We’re all behind you 110%!!

Too bad we dont have defense and goal-tending Lol

• 19to77 - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:51 AM

For that cap hit, Homer will probably ask him to do both in addition to setting up Voracek.

• rsmaggiemae - Jul 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I live in Minnesota and have always loved Giroux, but now with Briere gone, Giroux will have to buy himself a home as he lived with Briere and was teaching his boys french
      With this huge raise, Giroux can now buy a huge home…
      I only wish he would play for the Wild. I cant miss a Flyers games, he is ONE of my favorite players in the NHL
      He is a fantastic player and you fans in Philly are so lucky to have him….

• DonkeyStick - Jul 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

You live in Minessota…thats GREAT! You love Giroux…EVEN BETTER. Briere is gone we know this. He’s ONE of your favorite players in the NHL. You have anything else you would like to tell us about you and not the article?

2. crazemastercraze - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

So the flyers will play the 2013-14 season with 14 players on the bench? Well played, Holmgram….

• girouxed - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

We all know the flyers office is mildly retarded.

Please spare us the torment.

• goodolejr - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

They’ll have over $12M in space, and that’s not counting the cap going back up to ~$70M. Stop it with the cap issues, The Pens will have ~$49M tied up into 9 players. Yes, NINE. That is going to be interesting.

• iHeartHockey31 - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM

The 2014-15 season. Where the Flyers [and Penguins] believe the salary cap will go up.

3. girouxed - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

G’s full potential has yet to be unleashed. This is worth every penny.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You comment is an oxymoron. He’s worth every penny, but yet to reach his potential. So, it’s a gamble. Go Flyers! Don’t get me wrong. I love to watch this guy play, and hope he does REACH his potential.

Potential
      Capable of being but not yet in existence

• girouxed - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM

sounds like youre just hating.

thats not what i meant when i typed that comment.

• biasedhomer - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

how is it an oxymoron if he says Giroux is going to improve in the near future?

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jul 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM

biasedhomer, do I really need to explain this?

4. Steeley McBeam - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Gimme Letang for 58

5. dominiqueusa - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

what Carmen explained I am impressed that any body can make $6192 in 1 month on the . have you seen this web linkgo to this site home tab for more detail—>>> ============== CLICK HERE ============

6. phillyphanatic77 - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Seems the tagline is just baiting Pens fans to comment. I’m fine with the deal. The contracts given to Crosby (8.6), Malkin (9.5), Getzlaf (8.3?), and Perry (8.6) made it a sure thing that G would get that kind of money. Very excited that a premier talent will be in Philly through his prime years. Now lead us to that elusive Cup #28!

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

You know Jason did that on purpose

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I meant James but I think you get the point

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Absolutely. They bait Flyers/Pens fans all the time.its the easiest way to solicit comments.

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Indeed man I was still going to make a comment regardless but that just adds fuel to the fire. Like so l’lI always hate the Phillies, Eagles, and especially the Flyers but if you put the sports/city rivalry aside like I have with someone of my Flyer friends they’re easy people to get along with. I have a good fishing buddy whose a Flyers fan sure I jag with him a decent bit and he does the same back to me, hes still a good person to do stuff with. But were all guilty of letting our rivalries get the best of us.

7. pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

“Best player in the world” …haha that gave me a good laugh

• girouxed - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM

he sure kicked crosby on his rear end last time they met in the playoffs.

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Im glad to see that you still get off over that a year and a half later roughly.

• maalea - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

As funny as it seems now, He was for about 2 weeks last May…But now we know that MAF has a hard time stopping a beach ball in May and early June.

• malkamania71 - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Let’s be sensible for a second.. Laughing at a claim about Giroux being one of the best players in the world is just ignorant. He is one of the most well-rounded players in the NHL and I don’t even think we have seen his better years yet. He might not be the best player in the world in my opinion, but you can’t say he can’t be in discussion

8. dominiqueusa - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Be paid weekly and earn like a boss! I just bought a great Mazda MX-5 from having earned $7126 this past 4 weeks and $10k past-month. Without any doubt this is the easiest and most comfortable job I’ve ever had. I began this 6 months ago and right away was bringing in more than $83 per/h. This is what I do .and go to this site home tab for more detail…. ============== CLICK HERE ============

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Gotta love the spammers…a Mazda MX-5 isn’t even impressive

• sanfranbruinsfan - Jul 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Haha, yea. I loved the part where he made $7126 the past four weeks and also $10k the past month. He must have had a killer 29th, 30th, and 31st to rack in almost $3000 and get up to 10k for the month. Wonder who the thumbs up was?!?!?!?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Betcha the thumbs up comes from somebody who’s got that Mazda.

9. ericcoyle15 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

the kind of heart and passion that G brings to philly is the type of athlete that philly needs, this is a great signing, G was born to be a flyer and he will always be one, he leaves it out on the ice every single night win or loose he is a classy hockey player…………….unlike that guy who has a girls name over in Pittsburgh but you get the idea……………..lets just all pray to the hockey gods he doesnt pull a cole hamels (no offense)

10. icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Well let’s hope he just plays hockey the way he can. G needs to be on top of his game for the Flyers to go anywhere in the future.

11. aldog83 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I can see it now………

Giroux scores 4 goals opening night…….. .

Flyers LOSE 6-4

Get a Goalie!

12. ericcoyle15 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

honestly ray shero is a lot dumber then holmgren , shero is paying 39 milliong alone between crosby,malkin,fleury,neal,letang and martin………..thats a little more then half your salary being use for the first 5 guys out on the ice

• pitpenguinsrulez - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Im counting 6 players you mentioned not 5

• miketoasty - Jul 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I’m guessing eric is just trolling but in case he’s not, Shero is locking up core players, who have won numerous awards (Including a Stanley Cup) for the past couple of seasons.

As a Pens fan I am a little worried about the salary cap but if other teams are willing to spend big bucks as well, I think it’s pretty safe to say the salary cap is pretty much guaranteed to go up a good bit and that there is probably something the GM’s know that hasn’t gotten to the masses.

13. eagles512 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

That Letang comment has to be a joke

14. Habib Marwan - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM

got a feeling either halak or emery will be flyers soon, they get one of them, the goaltending is in decent shape

• zetaone - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

or DiPietro bwahaha!

• phillyphanatic77 - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

All the rumors are indicating that Emery and the Flyers have been in contact and it seems like he’ll be making a return to Philadelphia. And I’m fine with that. A combo of Emery-Mason is better than having Bryz back there, IMO. Just getting rid of him helps solidify the net.

Flyers will be very active tomorrow.

15. jimw81 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I think we are going to see fireworks(Trades and Signings) provided by flyers tomorrow.

16. pone27 - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Lol and to think as a Hawks fan I was worried.

17. andyb02 - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Worth every penny.

18. malkinrulez - Jul 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I’m sorry but Giroux is not in the discussion for best in the game. He is a very good player but no one other than someone in Philly would even consider him to this point. Can he get to that level ? Absolutely, but that has to be earned with consistent play

19. Stiller43 - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Malkamania,

The comment wasnt “hes ONE OF the best in the world.” His coach said he’s “the best player in the world.”

Thats the statement in question and the statement that is clearly wrong.

Depending on how far you go on your list of the best players in the world, he doesnt qualify for that either (i’d say he isnt top 5).

20. phillyphannn83 - Jul 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM

I still don’t get why I’ve been on this website for a year and never saw spammers until now and they’re in the comments section of every single story. Let’s go censors, get your heads out of your asses!

• hockey412 - Jul 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

There letting more get through than Bryz and Fleury combined!

• hockey412 - Jul 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I meant “They’re”. I’m ashamed.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

School’s out for the summer. Spelling and grammar police at the cabin in Quebec. No worries

• phillyphannn83 - Jul 7, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Seriously? 4 people thumbs-downed my criticism of spammers?? I didn’t think the spammers had time to actually read the comments.

• hockey412 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

hahahahaha some people will thumbs down anything!

21. wisdomnfl - Jul 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Great move to lock up a huge talent. This guy is only going to get better.

22. c1md6 - Jul 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Funny I didn’t know lecavalier or giroux could play in net? Lol filthydelphia at its best.

23. bobhpine - Jul 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM

“Hey remember that time the Flyers beat Crosby and the Pens in the playoffs? Yeah that was awesome man. Good times.” -Every Flyers fan trying to convince herself eleventh place wasn’t that bad….that 1975 isn’t that bad.

It is that bad. Ray Emery and Vinny should fix everything, haha.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches