Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a one-year contract extension with defenseman Keaton Ellerby, the club announced on Thursday.
According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider the deal is worth $735,000, $35k more than he made in 2013.
Ellerby, 24, came to Los Angeles from Florida early in the 2013 season and appeared in 44 games for the Kings, scoring three points.
The former 10th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ellerby’s presence in the lineup dwindled near the end of the season, when the Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from Buffalo.
As a result, Ellerby only played in five postseason contests, and didn’t dress for any of te Western Conference finals against Chicago.
Ellerby — 6-foot-5, 221 pounds — wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Kings, so this re-signing could suggest GM Dean Lombardi wants to ensure the club has a stay-at-home, left-handed defenseman on the roster should Rob Scuderi enter free agency.
Scuderi, 34, is in the final year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. He should garner considerable interest on the open market, given his winning pedigree (two Stanley Cup championships) and his durability (hasn’t missed a game since the 2009-10 season).
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)