Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a one-year contract extension with defenseman Keaton Ellerby, the club announced on Thursday.
According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider the deal is worth $735,000, $35k more than he made in 2013.
Ellerby, 24, came to Los Angeles from Florida early in the 2013 season and appeared in 44 games for the Kings, scoring three points.
The former 10th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ellerby’s presence in the lineup dwindled near the end of the season, when the Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from Buffalo.
As a result, Ellerby only played in five postseason contests, and didn’t dress for any of te Western Conference finals against Chicago.
Ellerby — 6-foot-5, 221 pounds — wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Kings, so this re-signing could suggest GM Dean Lombardi wants to ensure the club has a stay-at-home, left-handed defenseman on the roster should Rob Scuderi enter free agency.
Scuderi, 34, is in the final year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. He should garner considerable interest on the open market, given his winning pedigree (two Stanley Cup championships) and his durability (hasn’t missed a game since the 2009-10 season).
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)