Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a one-year contract extension with defenseman Keaton Ellerby, the club announced on Thursday.
According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider the deal is worth $735,000, $35k more than he made in 2013.
Ellerby, 24, came to Los Angeles from Florida early in the 2013 season and appeared in 44 games for the Kings, scoring three points.
The former 10th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ellerby’s presence in the lineup dwindled near the end of the season, when the Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from Buffalo.
As a result, Ellerby only played in five postseason contests, and didn’t dress for any of te Western Conference finals against Chicago.
Ellerby — 6-foot-5, 221 pounds — wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Kings, so this re-signing could suggest GM Dean Lombardi wants to ensure the club has a stay-at-home, left-handed defenseman on the roster should Rob Scuderi enter free agency.
Scuderi, 34, is in the final year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. He should garner considerable interest on the open market, given his winning pedigree (two Stanley Cup championships) and his durability (hasn’t missed a game since the 2009-10 season).
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)