Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a one-year contract extension with defenseman Keaton Ellerby, the club announced on Thursday.
According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider the deal is worth $735,000, $35k more than he made in 2013.
Ellerby, 24, came to Los Angeles from Florida early in the 2013 season and appeared in 44 games for the Kings, scoring three points.
The former 10th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ellerby’s presence in the lineup dwindled near the end of the season, when the Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from Buffalo.
As a result, Ellerby only played in five postseason contests, and didn’t dress for any of te Western Conference finals against Chicago.
Ellerby — 6-foot-5, 221 pounds — wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Kings, so this re-signing could suggest GM Dean Lombardi wants to ensure the club has a stay-at-home, left-handed defenseman on the roster should Rob Scuderi enter free agency.
Scuderi, 34, is in the final year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. He should garner considerable interest on the open market, given his winning pedigree (two Stanley Cup championships) and his durability (hasn’t missed a game since the 2009-10 season).
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)