Jul 4, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a one-year contract extension with defenseman Keaton Ellerby, the club announced on Thursday.
According to Jon Rosen of LA Kings Insider the deal is worth $735,000, $35k more than he made in 2013.
Ellerby, 24, came to Los Angeles from Florida early in the 2013 season and appeared in 44 games for the Kings, scoring three points.
The former 10th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Ellerby’s presence in the lineup dwindled near the end of the season, when the Kings acquired Robyn Regehr from Buffalo.
As a result, Ellerby only played in five postseason contests, and didn’t dress for any of te Western Conference finals against Chicago.
Ellerby — 6-foot-5, 221 pounds — wasn’t given a qualifying offer by the Kings, so this re-signing could suggest GM Dean Lombardi wants to ensure the club has a stay-at-home, left-handed defenseman on the roster should Rob Scuderi enter free agency.
Scuderi, 34, is in the final year of a four-year, $13.6 million deal. He should garner considerable interest on the open market, given his winning pedigree (two Stanley Cup championships) and his durability (hasn’t missed a game since the 2009-10 season).
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)