Jul 4, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Four veteran NHLers were placed on waivers on Thursday.
New Jersey goalie Johan Hedberg — bumped out of the picture after the Devils acquired Cory Schneider at the draft — Edmonton’s Eric Belanger and New York Rangers forwards Arron Asham and Darroll Powe were given notice as teams continue to try and shed salary/cap hits prior to the start of free agency.
Hedberg, 40, has one year remaining on a two-year, $2.8 million deal signed with the Devils on 2012. He has a full no-trade clause, but there was some thought he’d waive it in order to join a new club.
That didn’t materialize, so — assuming Hedberg will go unclaimed and be bought out — he’ll get paid $933,333 over the course of the next two years.
Belanger, 35, is heading into the final year of a three-year, $5.25 million deal signed in 2011. The veteran center had a forgettable 2013 in Edmonton, scoring just three points in 26 games, and his buyout will save the Oilers $1.75 million in cap space.
Asham and Powe were placed on regular waivers — not unconditional — meaning they’re not in line for compliance buyouts. The Rangers had already used one on Wade Redden and will probably hold the other to decide the future of Brad Richards next summer.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)