Jul 4, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Giroux, 25, has one year left on his current deal, which comes with a cap hit of $3.75 million.
Under the new CBA, comparable contracts for star forwards would belong to Anaheim’s duo of Ryan Getzlaf (8 years, $66 million, AAV $8.25 million) and Corey Perry (8 years, $69 million, AAV $8.625 million), as well as Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin (8 years, $76 million, AAV $9.5 million)
Sources tell TSN’s Darren Dreger that Giroux’s cap hit should fall around $8.3 million and that the deal could be announced in a day or two.
It’s worth noting that the Flyers have two significant contracts that expire after the 2013-14 season. One belongs to 38-year-old defenseman Kimmo Timonen ($6 million); the other to 27-year-old defenseman Andrej Meszaros ($4 million).
It’s also been speculated Philadelphia could trade blue-liner Braydon Coburn, who has three years remaining on his deal, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 0
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 23
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)