Jul 4, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Giroux, 25, has one year left on his current deal, which comes with a cap hit of $3.75 million.
Under the new CBA, comparable contracts for star forwards would belong to Anaheim’s duo of Ryan Getzlaf (8 years, $66 million, AAV $8.25 million) and Corey Perry (8 years, $69 million, AAV $8.625 million), as well as Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin (8 years, $76 million, AAV $9.5 million)
Sources tell TSN’s Darren Dreger that Giroux’s cap hit should fall around $8.3 million and that the deal could be announced in a day or two.
It’s worth noting that the Flyers have two significant contracts that expire after the 2013-14 season. One belongs to 38-year-old defenseman Kimmo Timonen ($6 million); the other to 27-year-old defenseman Andrej Meszaros ($4 million).
It’s also been speculated Philadelphia could trade blue-liner Braydon Coburn, who has three years remaining on his deal, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
Source say agreement on 8 yrs but $$ not done yet—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) July 04, 2013
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20