Jul 4, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Giroux, 25, has one year left on his current deal, which comes with a cap hit of $3.75 million.
Under the new CBA, comparable contracts for star forwards would belong to Anaheim’s duo of Ryan Getzlaf (8 years, $66 million, AAV $8.25 million) and Corey Perry (8 years, $69 million, AAV $8.625 million), as well as Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin (8 years, $76 million, AAV $9.5 million)
Sources tell TSN’s Darren Dreger that Giroux’s cap hit should fall around $8.3 million and that the deal could be announced in a day or two.
It’s worth noting that the Flyers have two significant contracts that expire after the 2013-14 season. One belongs to 38-year-old defenseman Kimmo Timonen ($6 million); the other to 27-year-old defenseman Andrej Meszaros ($4 million).
It’s also been speculated Philadelphia could trade blue-liner Braydon Coburn, who has three years remaining on his deal, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)