Jul 4, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The rebuilding Calgary Flames might not be better at winning games next season, but it looks like they’ll maintain the status quo in the “face smashing” department.
GM Jay Feaster came to terms with enforcer Brian McGrattan for a two-year deal (worth $1.5 million overall, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie) on Thursday. The 31-year-old fighter expressed his excitement on Twitter.
the big ern is back for 2 years smashin faces @NHLFlames
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) July 4, 2013
(Apparently “The Big Ern” is a reference to Bill Murray’s villain in “Kingpin.”)
McGrattan only smashed faces/had his face smashed via three fights in 21 games in 2013 according to Hockey Fights, well off the double-digit fight totals he clocked in his pugilistic peak.
One of his most memorable moments came via “The Salute.”
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 2
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 30
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)