Jul 4, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The rebuilding Calgary Flames might not be better at winning games next season, but it looks like they’ll maintain the status quo in the “face smashing” department.
GM Jay Feaster came to terms with enforcer Brian McGrattan for a two-year deal (worth $1.5 million overall, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie) on Thursday. The 31-year-old fighter expressed his excitement on Twitter.
the big ern is back for 2 years smashin faces @NHLFlames
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) July 4, 2013
(Apparently “The Big Ern” is a reference to Bill Murray’s villain in “Kingpin.”)
McGrattan only smashed faces/had his face smashed via three fights in 21 games in 2013 according to Hockey Fights, well off the double-digit fight totals he clocked in his pugilistic peak.
One of his most memorable moments came via “The Salute.”
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 21
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 70
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7