Jul 4, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The rebuilding Calgary Flames might not be better at winning games next season, but it looks like they’ll maintain the status quo in the “face smashing” department.
GM Jay Feaster came to terms with enforcer Brian McGrattan for a two-year deal (worth $1.5 million overall, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie) on Thursday. The 31-year-old fighter expressed his excitement on Twitter.
the big ern is back for 2 years smashin faces @NHLFlames
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) July 4, 2013
(Apparently “The Big Ern” is a reference to Bill Murray’s villain in “Kingpin.”)
McGrattan only smashed faces/had his face smashed via three fights in 21 games in 2013 according to Hockey Fights, well off the double-digit fight totals he clocked in his pugilistic peak.
One of his most memorable moments came via “The Salute.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 10
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)