Jul 4, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
The rebuilding Calgary Flames might not be better at winning games next season, but it looks like they’ll maintain the status quo in the “face smashing” department.
GM Jay Feaster came to terms with enforcer Brian McGrattan for a two-year deal (worth $1.5 million overall, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie) on Thursday. The 31-year-old fighter expressed his excitement on Twitter.
the big ern is back for 2 years smashin faces @NHLFlames
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) July 4, 2013
(Apparently “The Big Ern” is a reference to Bill Murray’s villain in “Kingpin.”)
McGrattan only smashed faces/had his face smashed via three fights in 21 games in 2013 according to Hockey Fights, well off the double-digit fight totals he clocked in his pugilistic peak.
One of his most memorable moments came via “The Salute.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)