Jul 4, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
The rebuilding Calgary Flames might not be better at winning games next season, but it looks like they’ll maintain the status quo in the “face smashing” department.
GM Jay Feaster came to terms with enforcer Brian McGrattan for a two-year deal (worth $1.5 million overall, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie) on Thursday. The 31-year-old fighter expressed his excitement on Twitter.
the big ern is back for 2 years smashin faces @NHLFlames
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) July 4, 2013
(Apparently “The Big Ern” is a reference to Bill Murray’s villain in “Kingpin.”)
McGrattan only smashed faces/had his face smashed via three fights in 21 games in 2013 according to Hockey Fights, well off the double-digit fight totals he clocked in his pugilistic peak.
One of his most memorable moments came via “The Salute.”
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 1
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28