Jul 4, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Shortly after Boston lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli made it clear that the team wouldn’t re-sign 41-year-old forward Jaromir Jagr.
“You know actually we have thought of circling back,” Chiarelli said, regarding the team’s position on Jagr, according to NESN. “We told him we were moving on so he may have moved on, also. It’s something that we may revisit. He’s on a list … of a bunch of guys.
“I’d like to go into this, when I talk about reconstructing the right side, maybe we can get some youth in there too in addition to an older guy. When I say older it’s relatively speaking. It’s just older than a youthful player. It could be old now. 28 is the old 32. It’s all relative.”
Jagr had two goals and nine points in 11 regular season games after the Bruins acquired him from the Dallas Stars. He also registered 10 assists in the playoffs, but wasn’t able to find the back of the net during the Bruins 22-game run. Of the Bruins skaters that participated in all 22 games, the only other one that failed to score even once was Shawn Thornton.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)