Jul 4, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
With Steve Mason their only NHL-tested netminder under contract for next season, the Philadelphia Flyers have been busy trying to address their goaltending situation ahead of tomorrow’s official start to free agency.
The list of potential candidates isn’t a particularly long one, though there are some intriguing names to be sure.
First things first — according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, the club is “out” on Tim Thomas.
There is, however, interest in pending unrestricted free agent Ray Emery, who went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the regular season before watching Corey Crawford help the team win the Stanley Cup.
Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the 30-year-old is likely moving on from Chicago to compete for a starting job elsewhere.
LeBrun believes Philadelphia is the front-runner to land Emery, who already knows the market well, seeing as he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10.
Halak has just one year remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $3.75 million, before he can become unrestricted. And remember, the Blues also have veteran Brian Elliott under contract for next season, while promising Jake Allen is a restricted free agent and should end up re-signing.
UFAs Evgeni Nabokov and Johan Hedberg are two more names that have been mentioned in Flyers-related rumors, though their respective ages, 37 and 40, may give Philly general manager Paul Holmgren reason to hesitate.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 48
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)