Jul 4, 2013, 5:14 PM EST
With Steve Mason their only NHL-tested netminder under contract for next season, the Philadelphia Flyers have been busy trying to address their goaltending situation ahead of tomorrow’s official start to free agency.
The list of potential candidates isn’t a particularly long one, though there are some intriguing names to be sure.
First things first — according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, the club is “out” on Tim Thomas.
There is, however, interest in pending unrestricted free agent Ray Emery, who went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the regular season before watching Corey Crawford help the team win the Stanley Cup.
Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the 30-year-old is likely moving on from Chicago to compete for a starting job elsewhere.
LeBrun believes Philadelphia is the front-runner to land Emery, who already knows the market well, seeing as he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10.
Halak has just one year remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $3.75 million, before he can become unrestricted. And remember, the Blues also have veteran Brian Elliott under contract for next season, while promising Jake Allen is a restricted free agent and should end up re-signing.
UFAs Evgeni Nabokov and Johan Hedberg are two more names that have been mentioned in Flyers-related rumors, though their respective ages, 37 and 40, may give Philly general manager Paul Holmgren reason to hesitate.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)