Jul 4, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
With Steve Mason their only NHL-tested netminder under contract for next season, the Philadelphia Flyers have been busy trying to address their goaltending situation ahead of tomorrow’s official start to free agency.
The list of potential candidates isn’t a particularly long one, though there are some intriguing names to be sure.
First things first — according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio, the club is “out” on Tim Thomas.
There is, however, interest in pending unrestricted free agent Ray Emery, who went a remarkable 17-1-0 (.922 save percentage) with the Blackhawks during the regular season before watching Corey Crawford help the team win the Stanley Cup.
Emery hasn’t been a full-time starter in the NHL since undergoing surgery for avascular necrosis in 2010, but according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the 30-year-old is likely moving on from Chicago to compete for a starting job elsewhere.
LeBrun believes Philadelphia is the front-runner to land Emery, who already knows the market well, seeing as he started 29 games for the Flyers in 2009-10.
Halak has just one year remaining on his contract, with a cap hit of $3.75 million, before he can become unrestricted. And remember, the Blues also have veteran Brian Elliott under contract for next season, while promising Jake Allen is a restricted free agent and should end up re-signing.
UFAs Evgeni Nabokov and Johan Hedberg are two more names that have been mentioned in Flyers-related rumors, though their respective ages, 37 and 40, may give Philly general manager Paul Holmgren reason to hesitate.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)