Jul 4, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
The beard is gone.
That’s the story out of Colorado on Thursday as the Avalanche announced they’ve bought out the contract of defenseman Greg Zanon.
The most notable thing about this transaction is that Colorado is conducting a regular buyout on Zanon, not a compliance buyout.
In short, the Avs don’t have any cap concerns for 2013-14 — they’re nearly $12 million under the ceiling — and would prefer to save their compliance buyouts for next season, should they need to use them.
Here’s more, from the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater:
Zanon had one year left on his deal, worth $2.25 million.
By doing a standard buyout, the Avs must give Zanon two-thirds of that remaining salary in a lump sum ($1.5 million). That $1.5 million counts against the Avs’ salary cap, but they can spread it out over two years.
That means Zanon will still cost the Avs a cap hit of $750,000 for this season and next.
Zanon had no goals in 2013 and finished with a minus-16 rating, though to be fair most of the Avs were minus players.
The former Predator, Wild and Bruin will now look for work elsewhere, likely as a bottom-pairing defenseman on a team that needs someone to block shots.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 111
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 94
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 105
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (110)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)