Jul 4, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
The beard is gone.
That’s the story out of Colorado on Thursday as the Avalanche announced they’ve bought out the contract of defenseman Greg Zanon.
The most notable thing about this transaction is that Colorado is conducting a regular buyout on Zanon, not a compliance buyout.
In short, the Avs don’t have any cap concerns for 2013-14 — they’re nearly $12 million under the ceiling — and would prefer to save their compliance buyouts for next season, should they need to use them.
Here’s more, from the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater:
Zanon had one year left on his deal, worth $2.25 million.
By doing a standard buyout, the Avs must give Zanon two-thirds of that remaining salary in a lump sum ($1.5 million). That $1.5 million counts against the Avs’ salary cap, but they can spread it out over two years.
That means Zanon will still cost the Avs a cap hit of $750,000 for this season and next.
Zanon had no goals in 2013 and finished with a minus-16 rating, though to be fair most of the Avs were minus players.
The former Predator, Wild and Bruin will now look for work elsewhere, likely as a bottom-pairing defenseman on a team that needs someone to block shots.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)