Jul 4, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
The beard is gone.
That’s the story out of Colorado on Thursday as the Avalanche announced they’ve bought out the contract of defenseman Greg Zanon.
The most notable thing about this transaction is that Colorado is conducting a regular buyout on Zanon, not a compliance buyout.
In short, the Avs don’t have any cap concerns for 2013-14 — they’re nearly $12 million under the ceiling — and would prefer to save their compliance buyouts for next season, should they need to use them.
Here’s more, from the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater:
Zanon had one year left on his deal, worth $2.25 million.
By doing a standard buyout, the Avs must give Zanon two-thirds of that remaining salary in a lump sum ($1.5 million). That $1.5 million counts against the Avs’ salary cap, but they can spread it out over two years.
That means Zanon will still cost the Avs a cap hit of $750,000 for this season and next.
Zanon had no goals in 2013 and finished with a minus-16 rating, though to be fair most of the Avs were minus players.
The former Predator, Wild and Bruin will now look for work elsewhere, likely as a bottom-pairing defenseman on a team that needs someone to block shots.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)