Jul 3, 2013, 8:16 AM EST
The familiar voice of Paul Lorieau will live on in the hearts of Edmonton Oilers fans everywhere.
Lorieau, the longtime national anthem singer for the Oilers, passed away at the age of 71 after a battle with cancer, the NHL club announced just after midnight on Wednesday morning.
“Paul will be respected and remembered for being a key player in the history of the Edmonton Oilers. His passion and excitement became a staple at every Oilers home game for more than 30 years,” said Oilers president Patrick LaForge in a statement.
One of his more memorable moments, belting out O Canada, came during the 2006 Stanley Cup playoffs.
Prior to puck drop in Game 3 of the Western Conference Final, Lorieau began singing the Canadian national anthem, but then pointed the microphone to the Edmonton crowd, which took over with a loud and stirring rendition all the way to the anthem’s conclusion.
Since the announcement of his passing, there has been an outpouring of support from fans and Edmonton media.
Sad to hear of the passing of Paul Lorieau, legendary anthem singer in Edmonton. Gem of a man, and will be missed by Oiler fans everywhere.—
Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) July 03, 2013
The world was better place when Oilers anthem singer Paul Lorieau was belting out the anthems. RIP my friend—
Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) July 03, 2013
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 2
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)